Understanding the network
Metro, RER, commuter trains, Noctilien, tram and bus: the various modes of transport allow you to travel everywhere in Île-de-France, day and night.
- The network
- Transilien SNCF
Multiple carriers, one network
Île-de-France Mobilités is the organizing authority for public transport in Île-de-France.
Composed of the Île-de-France region, the city of Paris and the seven other Île-de-France departments, Île-de-France Mobilités has many missions:
- it imagines, organizes and finances all public transport in Île-de-France (train, RER, metro, tram, T Zen and bus),
- it brings together all stakeholders (elected officials, manufacturers, transporters, infrastructure managers, etc.) to improve the service provided to travelers,
- it commands and manages transport modernization projects, which it entrusts the operation to SNCF Transilien, RATP and OPTILE
Transilien and RATP (Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens) work together to ensure the smooth running of the Ile-de-France network and are responsible for:
- punctuality of the lines they operate,
- passenger and staff security,
- the quality of the service offered to travelers (reception, information, cleanliness of the premises),
- modernization and development of the transport network.
The two carriers share the management of the different modes of transport and lines of the network, and jointly operate certain RER lines (A and B) and Noctilien bus.
Transilien SNCF, more than 3.2 million travelers every day in Île-de-France, or 70% of SNCF travelers who travel on 10% of the national network. 6200 trains serve the territory daily. Ile-de-France residents and visitors in Ile-de-France can rely on:
- RER A, B, C, D and E,
- Transilien H, J, K, L, N, P, R and U trains,
- 2 trams 4 and 11,
- the Noctilien buses.
Metro, train, tram, bus: the RATP Group is present on all modes of public transport in Île-de-France. It operates:
- RER A and B,
- metros 1, 2, 3, 3bis, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7bis, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14,
- trams 1, 2, 3a, 3b, 5 and 7,
- the Noctilien buses.
The leading road passenger transport network in Île-De-France, OPTILE (Professional Transport Organization in Île-De-France) brings together private road passenger transport companies from the region. It operates nearly 4,500 buses and coaches and provides more than a million trips every day. Its various activities concern:
- school transport,
- public transport on regular urban and interurban lines,
- specialized transport (transport of people with reduced mobility, private transport, on demand and occasional).